I'm headed out the door for some sushi but I thought I'd drop in to give you an idea of what I'm working on for my next blog post. I'm hungry so let's keep this short and sweet: receive interrupt mitigation and its effects on Linux media applications.
In general I'm a big fan of receive interrupt mitigation. I'll trade some delay for a substantial decrease in system CPU time spent servicing interrupts resulting in the ability to handle more calls. I didn't just come to this one day, I've done some tests in the past to verify this.
However, I've never done a large scale test on regular, server class hardware. Usually just Asterisk on an embedded system. It usually works out well. This is why, by default, all ethernet adapters that support NAPI in Linux are enabled in AstLinux by default.
The folks at TransNexus spend a fair amount of time testing OpenSER/Kamailio/OpenSips performance. Today Jim Dalton posted the results of another test to the Kamailio User's mailing list. I replied to his post with so many questions I figured it might be time for me to lab this up myself and test my theories about interrupt handling (in Linux, specifically).
If those brighly colored rolls of fish weren't so distracting and delicious I'd promise to think about all of this over dinner. Unfortunately it will have to wait until tomorrow...